No HPO leader does everything right the first time. The main thing that compensates for your lack of perfect first-time execution is your commitment to keep trying until you “get it right.” This is commitment is also key for everyone else in the organization that is striving to become an HPO.
Some important steps that successful leaders have taken include:
- A diagnosis of the current state of your whole system. This helps you be clear about your journey’s starting point.
- Learning about the key factors and organizational principles that differentiate HPOs from their peers. This helps expand your vision of what is possible for you to achieve.
- Developing (with key thought leaders at all levels) a clear, value-driven purpose for the HPO journey and a strategic plan for implementing it.
- Choosing some key organization design elements that will deliver the purpose and integrating them into the strategic plan.
- Earning the enthusiastic followership of your many associates to make the changes in the operation and culture to deliver the targeted results.
- Periodically monitoring progress: holding firm when others want to return to the status quo, adjusting the plan when evidence shows that things are working as intended.
How We Can Help
We can help you see the possibilities and avoid potential pitfalls because of our experience with HPOs. We ourselves have been line managers, researchers, and HPO coaches in many different industries and regions of the world.
Our practical workshops, frameworks, and tools have enabled leaders like yourself to define and lead implementation of strategies leading to high performance. We partner with you to build your leadership skills as you climb the mountain.
When we consult with you, we tailor our approach to ensure the right fit of processes, tools, and timing with your organization and its market environment.